The old adage, “If you build it, they will come,” does not apply to the Internet. The Internet today is so vast that just building a website is not enough.
The minute your website is up and running, it becomes buried under the weight of the World Wide Web. No one will find it unless they specifically search for it or you send them there.
So, send people to your website.
One good way is to invite them. When you invite, add an enticement. Which would you rather hear: “Would you like to come to my house?” or “Would you like to come to my house for dinner?”
The best way to entice someone to your website is to give something away for free. Two common ways to do this are to provide free material on your website for your visitors (such as an ebook or an article) or hold a contest where you give away tangible products of value to a random person who enters your contest.
ChristianBookVideos.com is using a contest to invite and entice people to their website. For the next five weeks, ChristianBookVideos.com is giving away five books each week to five random people who visit their website and take their survey. Each visitor to ChristianBookVideos.com who completes the survey is automatically entered into the contest.
To encourage people to return and visit the website again, ChristianBookVideos.com is giving away a different book each week. Through inviting people to return each week for a new contest, ChristianBookVideos.com is increasing their exposure to each visitor, thereby increasing the likelihood that each visitor will become a regular patron of their website.
If you are looking to increase the traffic to your website, consider hosting a contest where visitors to your website can enter to win free books or products. The product you are giving away does not need to be your own. Consider partnering with another business that is looking for more exposure for their products.
Setting up a survey to collect information from your visitors is actually fairly easy. Just follow these five simple steps:
- Set a time period for your contest. Generally one week is a good time frame. Go longer and you lose momentum. Go shorter and you don’t generate enough traffic.
- Make a survey using a websites that offers survey setup and management such as FluidSurveys, SurveyMonkey, or QuestionForm. Each of these services offers a free level and a premium level. Generally the free level has limits as to the number of questions your survey can have and how many respondents can take your survey. Make sure to collect each person’s name and email so that you can contact your winner and generate an email list for future marketing use.
- Announce your contest, through press releases, your discussion groups, your social networking sites, Twitter, and on your website and blog.
- Enlist your friends to let their friends know about the contest. Everyone loves a chance to win something, so getting people to talk about your contest should be fairly easy.
- At the end of the contest, use a free online random number generator like Random.org or Randomizer.org to pick your winners.
- Announce the winners and send the winners their prizes.
Let me know if you decide to hold a contest for your website. In the meantime, go enter the contest on ChristianBookVideos.com. You may win a new Christian book to read!