Do you feel that God is calling you to do something new?
I recently had the privilege of being a guest on the God in The Midst radio show during the month of July. The host asked me to share with the audience a message that God had laid on my heart. You can listen to the entire message at this link: God In The Midst.
I shared with God in The Midst’s audience that God has prepared good works for us to do long before we were born (Romans 8:10). When the time is right, God calls us to do these works. We will know that God is asking us to do one of the good works he has prepared for us because it will be outside of our comfort zone, and we will not feel equal to the task.
Looking at God’s call to Moses to lead the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt to a land flowing with milk and honey as recorded in Exodus 3 and 4, I shared the following points about when God calls us to do a work he has prepared for us to do.
- God does not command us, he invites us to do the work he has for us. God says to Moses, “Come, I will send you…”
- We will not feel equal to the task. Moses’ response to God was “Who am I” that I should go and do this thing.
- We will feel scared. When God calls us to do something new that is out of our comfort zone, it feels like more than we are capable of doing. We will be scared and we may even find an excuse not to do the task like Moses did. Moses told God that he was not eloquent but slow of speech and tongue.
- God promises us that we will not have to do the task in our own strength. Not only will God be with us, his power will also accompany us. He reassures us that he created us to do the thing he is asking us to do. Just as he told Moses that he would be his mouth and he would teach him to speak.
- God will send others to help us. God sent Moses’ brother Aaron to help him. He, too, will send people your way to help you do the task he is calling you to do. People to support you. People to encourage you. People to help you.
Is God calling you to a new work today? Maybe he is calling you to write or publish in a new genre. Maybe he is calling you to start a publishing company. Maybe he is calling you to start a new ministry.
Whatever God is calling you to do, be encouraged. God has prepared you for this task. You will not have to do it in your own strength alone. He will be with you and he will send others to help and support you in the work.