Do You Gush or Drip?

A little while ago I read some interesting statistics in a magazine for writers. The author of the article did not quote where she got her statistics, so I could not check to verify, but they sound reasonable.


The statistics had to do with how many books print-on-demand authors typically sell. The breakdown quoted was:

  • 0 to 99 copies: 30.1%
  • 100 to 199 copies: 53%
  • 200 to 299 copies: 9%
  • 300 to 399 copies: 5%
  • 400 to 499 copies: 2%
  • 500 to 999 copies: .5%
  • 1,000 to 4,999 copies: .3%
  • 5,000+ copies: .1%

According to these statistics, over 83% of all print-on-demand titles sold fewer than 200 copies.

What separated the 83% from the other 17%? I believe it can be summed up in two words: Quality and Marketing.

First and foremost, a book must have quality. Quality writing, quality editing, quality layout, and quality cover design. Then, the author must market, market, and market to sell books.
Marketing is not a one-time deal. To sell books, an author must continually engage in marketing.

Many authors engage in Gush Marketing. They turn on the faucet and do a marketing blast. Then they turn it off and wait for a response.

Gush Marketing is not as effective as Drip Marketing. Drip marketing is the faucet that drips. It is not pouring. It is not running. Rather, it is a continual drip that makes people feel thirsty. The drip reminds people that your book is there ready to fulfill a need they have.

Are you gushing or dripping?

Bookmark and Share

1 thought on “Do You Gush or Drip?

  1. Hi, I want to thank you for your twice weekly blog and this post is right on for me.. My novel is 15-months-old and have sold between 1 and 99 copies. Since, I have been contributing to short story anthologies, (dripping) so as to retain some degree of creativity while establishing credibility. My efforts are a consistent dripping with promoting the novel, which may be better in the long run than a blitz or gush. Thanks. David Russell


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.