No one can predict the future. Only God knows the future. Still, every year, people make all sorts of predictions about the coming year. I don’t make predictions. I don’t feel qualified to do so. Besides, usually only about half of the predictions made come true, meaning anyone has a 50-50 chance of making a true prediction.
Here are a few predictions I have seen for 2015:
- Reviews will become more important and powerful for businesses—this includes books as well. Surveys show that 78% of consumers’ purchasing decisions are influenced by online reviews.
- Author and marketing guru, Seth Godin, thinks that 2015 will be a big year for breakout self-published titles. We are already starting to see this trend.
- Amazon’s ebook market share will continue to grow. Amazon already holds a 65% share of ebook sales.
- Humor will be needed to create an authentic connection with Millennials and secure their business. Some believe 2015 will be the year of humor in digital marketing.
- Something bigger is going to happen with GoodReads. Some predict it will more tightly integrate with parent company Amazon.
- The United States economy will continue to grow. This growth will be driven by increased consumer spending. More money being spent is always good for book sales.
- Jeb Bush, Republican, will run against Hillary Clinton, Democrat, in the 2016 Presidential race. This would mean a repeat of a Bush-Clinton race.
Based on these predictions, I don’t see any major new shifts for publishing and marketing books. I believe independently published books will continue to grow as will book sales via the Internet. Currently, less than 10% of books are sold through brick-and-mortar bookstores.
If you plan to publish for the first time this coming year, or you are just continuing to publish—and you produce Christian materials—I encourage you to consider membership in Christian Small Publishers Association (CSPA) as part of your business plans for the coming year.
CSPA provides both small publishers and independently published authors with a number of resources to help you be more successful in both publishing and marketing your books. You can read our complete list of membership benefits on our website by clicking here.
Membership for the 2015 calendar year is just $90. I encourage you to become a member today by clicking here.
Do you need to read testimonials (reviews) before you decide to join? These are also available on our website. Just click here.
The one thing I am certain of for 2015 is that God holds our hands. May you find strength and comfort in this.