Independent publishing (aka self-publishing) is here to stay. The number of books produced and sold by independent authors continues to grow. I think this is great news!
Data Guy over at Author Earnings shared some great new book sales statistics at the recent Digital Book World 2017. Here are a few of the interesting findings he shared in regards to independently published book sales for 2016 in the United States:
- The total number of books units sold (both traditional and nontraditional in print, ebook, and audiobook formats) was 1,337,138,000.
- The total number of independently published book units sold was 229,000,000 (counting ebook, audiobook, and print book sales).
- Self-published titles accounted for 17% of total book sales.
- About 30% of adult fiction and 10% of adult nonfiction book sales were independently published books.
- Readers are buying books online: 69% of all book sales were made online.
- About 72% of adult nonfiction books and 77% of adult fiction books were purchased online.
Independent publishing has truly come of age. I think that the industry overall is finally getting on board with accepting self-published titles.
For years, most Christian writers’ conferences have been geared toward helping authors obtain traditional publishing contracts. This too is changing. Now some conferences are teaching attendees how to independently publish their books.
The Colorado Christian Writers Conference is offering this to their attendees. I will be teaching an intensive continuing education seminar at this conference in May on “You Can Indie Publish and Market Your Book”. This five-session seminar will cover the following topics:
- Three Things to Do Before You Publish Your Book
- Preparing Your Manuscript for Publishing
- DIY: Publish Your Book
- Obtaining Book Reviews
- Marketing: The Essential Ingredient
If you are thinking about independently publishing or know someone who is, sign up to attend the Colorado Christian Writers Conference and join me for this intensive training.
If you want to attend, but can’t make this conference, I will be teaching this seminar again at the Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference this summer in July.
Don’t miss out on any of the great information shared in this blog. Subscribe to receive each post in your email box. Just click here.
Photo courtesy of Hope House Press