Did you know that Walmart is the third largest online shopping destination? According to Business Insider, only Amazon.com and Ebay.com have more online customer traffic than Walmart.
Some sources claim that Walmart is the second largest bookseller in the United States. To compete with Amazon, Walmart has teamed up with Rakuten Kobo to sell Kobo e-readers and ebooks. Walmart’s new service, Walmart eBooks by Rakuten Kobo, launched late last month.
According to Walmart’s website, the new Walmart eBooks brings customers:
- Kobo’s library of more than six million titles – from New York Times best sellers to a wide variety of indie titles and children’s books.
- A new monthly audiobook subscription – Customers will be able to subscribe to the audiobook service for $9.99 per month, which includes one audiobook per month.
- The ability to purchase digital book cards in 3,500 Walmart stores
- Access to Kobo’s eReaders online and in-store – Customers can choose from a variety of Kobo eReaders on Walmart.com. In 1,000 stores the Kobo Aura will be for sale.
All Walmart eBooks are accessible through co-branded (Walmart and Kobo) iOS and Android apps and on Kobo eReaders. Interestingly, Walmart.com receives more mobile traffic than Amazon.com; 64% of Walmart.com’s traffic is from mobile devices, while only 58% of Amazon’s traffic is mobile.
To mark the launch of the ebook partnership site, Walmart eBooks is offering first-time customers $10 off their first ebook or audiobook purchase. And consumers who sign up for the audiobook subscription will get their first 30 days for free.
What does this mean for you?
If your ebooks (and audiobooks) are not available for sale on Kobo, you will lose out on potential sales. Every author should make sure that his or her books are listed for sales on Kobo. This will ensure that your books are also listed for sale on Walmart eBooks.
There are a number of options for placing your ebooks on Kobo. Here are three:
- Self-publish your ebook directly to Kobo via their publishing platform (think KDP for Kobo).
- Upload your ebook to Smashwords and list it in their expanded catalog.
- Publish your ebook through Draft2Digital and use their ebook distribution service.
Don’t miss out on sales. Make sure that your ebook is available through Kobo so that it is available for sale on the new Walmart eBooks.
Don’t miss out on any of the great information shared in this blog. Subscribe to receive each post in your email box. Just click here.