Imagine that someone in China or South Africa is reading your book. The good news is that it is possible. With ebooks, selling books internationally is easy.
Did you know that with a click of a button, you can sell your ebook in multiple countries?
- Amazon will sell your ebook in 12 countries.
- Kobo ebook stores sell your ebook in 36 countries.
- Apple eBook store sells to over 40 countries.
Author Earnings recently completed a report on ebook sales in the top five English-language countries: United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Below is a chart that shows the annual ebook sales broken down by country.
Author Earnings study revealed some interesting points. Here are three of the salient ones:
- Amazon is the majority retailer in just about every market.
- Taken all together, Amazon accounts for more than 80% of English-language ebook purchases, Apple another 10%, Kobo 2% and Nook 3%.
- Self-published indie authors are verifiably capturing at least 24% to 34% of all ebook sales in each of the five English-language markets.
Once again, the news is that Amazon dominants book sales in English-speaking countries. However, it is important to remember that Amazon is not the only ebook store.
Many independently published authors publish exclusively with Amazon. If you publish exclusively with Amazon, you might be missing out on sales both in the United States and worldwide. Following are three reasons NOT to have your ebook exclusive to Amazon:
- You are missing out on offering your book for sale in at least 28 countries.
- You are missing a potential 20% more sales for your book.
- You reduce the impact of external marketing and sales for your book as everyone does not purchase books via Amazon.
Don’t shortchange yourself. While it is easy to publish a book on Amazon, remember Amazon is not the only player in the ebook sales industry. If you want to sell more books, you need broader distribution. Make sure your ebooks are listed in Kobo and in the Apple store as well as in all the ebook retailers. You can do this by making your ebook available for distribution through one of the following ebook distributors:
If you have already published your ebook on Amazon, that’s okay. You can still use Smashwords or IngramSpark for broader distribution. Both services will respect your existing relationship with Amazon.
Don’t miss out on worldwide sales for your ebooks. Indie published ebook sales continue to grow. Your book sales will benefit from the exposure wider distribution brings.
Don’t miss out on any of the great information shared in this blog. Subscribe to receive each post in your email box. Just click here.
Photo courtesy of Slava Bowman